This one now seems inevitable. Real Madrid parted company earlier this week with Carlo Ancelotti, less than year after he brought them La Decima, and it now looks certain that Napoli manager Rafa Benitez will take over as Real Madrid’s 13th coach since 2003.
The Guardian reports that Napoli have called a press conference for Thursday and also quote Ancelotti’s agent as saying:
Napoli have called an unexpected press conference for Thursday as reports linking Rafael Benítez with Real Madrid continue to gain strength.
Ancelotti’s representative Ernesto Bronzetti expects the 55-year-old Benítez, who started his managerial career with Real’s reserve side, to become the club’s 13th coach since 2003. Bronzetti said: “Benítez is 99% sure to go to Real.”
He also said of the Ancelotti dismissal:
“As of right now, Ancelotti wants to take a year’s break. That’s his intention. At Real Madrid you can be sacked if you don’t win any trophies in a season.”
We would be interested to hear from Real Madrid fans on this one. We can’t help thinking that Real Madrid shoot themselves in the foot by constantly changing managers. Just a few months ago Real Madrid were playing some of the most convincing football that we had ever seen from them. One season without silverware and a man who seemed perfect for the job – with his composure and intelligence – is now gone.
Who is to say that Benitez will do any better? He has to get to know the players all over again and instil yet another playing style into the team.
We can’t help but think that this constant changing is taking Real Madrid further from, instead of closer to, titles.
Real Madrid fans: sad to see Carlo go?