Chelsea about to do big business – report

We always maintain that there is no smoke without fire. Of course, many transfer stories are completely made up, in order to get chins wagging and move newspapers.

But it’s those persistent rumours that you need to mindful of – the ones that keep rearing their beautiful or ugly heads on a periodical basis.

One such rumour, that refuses to lie down, is that of David Luiz leaving Chelsea. He’s been linked to Barcelona for ages now. It was also mooted that he had been offered as part of a swap deal for Wayne Rooney, when Chelsea wanted the England man last summer – as proof of the ‘no smoke without fire’ theory one Juan Mata was also reported to be used as a bargaining tool for that transfer.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wouldn’t admit to it publicly but we think that he has seen Luiz as surplus to requirements for a long time. There is no doubt that he’s a talented player but he is the sort of luxury that has never fitted comfortably into the Mourinho template.

Reports today suggest that Luiz will replace the departing legend, Carlos Puyol, at Barcelona in the summer.

The Metro says:

Barcelona are expecting to sign Chelsea defender David Luiz at the end of the season as the Catalan giants look to replace the departing Carlos Puyol.

Puyol announced his intention to leave Barca during an emotional press conference on Tuesday, with the club captain told he does not have a future at the Nou Camp.

Nothing is official on this one but, if you want our opinion, it’s as good as a done deal. Luiz may not be the hardman centre-back that Chelsea require but he is the ball-playing Brazilian that Barcelona could use in their defence. He even looks like Puyol with his frizzy barnet.

Chelsea fans, would you be sad to see another highly talented player leave the club as Jose continues to replace guile with brawn?

Follow us on Twitter @soccersweep10