Simon Mignolet has given his biggest indication yet that he could leave Liverpool in January.
The stopper played 90 minutes in the Reds’ 2-1 victory over Spurs on Tuesday night, but it looks as if he may be confined to the EFL Cup while Loris Karius remains first choice in the Premier League.
The Belgian’s only league action this season has so far taken place when Karius was injured, and Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that the summer signing is first choice.
Understandably, Mignolet isn’t happy. The goalkeeper has effectively told Sky Sports that he will keep trying to force his way into the team, but he may need to leave to start playing regular football again.
“I don’t want to be a No 2, that’s clear. I want to play,” he said.
“I will never give up fighting because that’s not in my character to just give up.
“Secondly, because I am not in a situation where I can sit on the bench. I’m 28 years old and I want to play week-in, week-out.
Karius’ form has not been such that there is no prospect of Mignolet making a return, but with Liverpool making such good progress in the league, it’s unlikely Klopp would want to change his side too much without good reason.
The club are in a fortunate position to have a choice between two decent goalkeepers, but Mignolet needed to produce something special against Spurs, and the Lilywhites simply didn’t create enough chances to keep him busy.
If another club were to come in for him in January, it looks like he could be on the move.