Liverpool in overdrive as yet more transfer negotiations are reported

Ok so let’s just take stock of the transfer situation at Liverpool. First there was Kolo Toure of Manchester City who will come in on a free. Then Iago Aspas, the Celta Vigo striker was said to have agreed a deal. There appear to be some details that still need to be resolved on that one but, save for the fine print, these two are seemingly pretty much in the bag.

Yesterday soccersweep reported that Belgian goalkeeper Simon Mignolet was a serious target with Liverpool hopeful of meeting Sunderland’s asking price. Furthermore, the sports pages have been increasingly awash with stories about Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the £22m rated Shaktar midfielder travelling to Liverpool ahead of a medical with the club. A quick search on Google has suggested to soccersweep that, if he does sign, the Liverpool fans will be factually correct when singing ‘there’s only one Henrikh Mkhitaryan’ next season.

A picture which apparently shows the player, head down, signing a Liverpool shirt has done the rounds on the internet and is supposed to somehow add weight to the theory. The Shaktar Chief Executive has stated this avo that no bid has yet been made
but we think that the rumours are so strong that a deal could be done.


To add to all this transfer excitement, The Guardian reported two stories yesterday afternoon and late last night which suggested that yet more deals were in the offing. 21 year old Ghanaian winger Christian Atsu is said by The Guardian to be in ‘advanced talks’ with Liverpool ahead of a deal. The always excellent publication continued:

Atsu, a quick, talented but sometimes erratic winger, was brought into the Porto first-team squad during André Villas-Boas’s time at the club and is seen by the Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers, as a player who can offer his team more width and penetration in attack.

Finally, for now, the same source speculated yesterday that Sevilla No.9 Luis Alberto had been the subject of a Liverpool bid, which was confirmed by their sporting director Ramon Verdejo, who was quoted as saying:

“Interest from Liverpool is real but nothing is signed. The player has received an important offer, but at the moment he is a Sevilla player.

“The first offer the club has is very good, but we are not satisfied yet.”

The Independent has gone as far as to suggest that:

Liverpool expect to have wrapped up a deal within 48 hours to sign the 20-year-old Spanish winger Luis Alberto from Seville for around £6m.

The 20 year old was on loan at Barcelona last season but The Catalans have opted not to make the deal permanent. Brendan Rodgers is seemingly buying a lot of young players that not many people beyond these shores have heard of. But the capture of the superb Philippe Coutinho in January has given everyone around the club confidence that Mr.Rodgers knows what he’s doing. Instead of trying to compete for seasoned stars who have perhaps plateaued, he’s trying to build from the bottom up, creating a solid long-term foundation for success. Even if half of his summer signings perform as well as Sturridge and Coutinho, Liverpool will be a serious force next season. Happy days then? What do you Liverpool fans think about these prospective signings?

Let’s have a look at Alberto in action shall we?


Follow us on Twitter @soccersweep10

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Birikorang Enoch

    Jun 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm

    I think liverpool should luis alberto bid to sign rakitic b’cos we need central midfielders.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Soccersweep is a site dedicated to the beautiful game. We may not always be right, but we aim to offer integrity and insight, reflecting on the modern game in all its glory, greed and grandeur.

92 Languages!


Copyright © 2016 Soccersweep. Soccersweep is based in Clapham South, London, UK.

To Top