Published on May 29th, 2014 | by soccersweep1
Deal close? Chelsea in talks for superstar wide man says broadsheet
Chelsea will most definitely be looking to add a left back to their squad this close season. News earlier in the week suggested that they had re-ignited their interest in Southampton left-back Luke Shaw.
But recent media reports indicate that Chelsea have reopened talks for Atletico Madrid superstar Filipe Luis. The Guardian says:
Chelsea have resumed talks with Atlético Madrid over the recruitment of the highly rated Brazilian left-back Filipe Luís, one of three potential signings by the Premier League club from the Spanish league winners.
Luís was a key member of the Atlético defence, backed up by the Chelsea loanee Thibaut Courtois in goal, that shipped only 26 goals in 38 games to claim a first league title since 1996. The 28-year-old full-back moved to Vicente Calderón from Deportivo la Coruña four years ago and, while he suggested after Saturday’s Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid that he intended to honour the final three years of his contract, the London club are confident they can lure him to Stamford Bridge.
So Luis could well be on the way to Chelsea. The Atletico Madrid full-back had a sensational season with La Liga club and his form can be counted as one of the main reasons for their huge success in toppling the big boys.
He’s not on in the squad for The World Cup but there is no shame in that considering the strength of the South American outfit.
Luis would represent a much cheaper option than Luke Shaw at around half the price and that will help Chelsea’s transfer kitty now that the fair play rules have kicked in.
If Chelsea do a deal for Luis they will still be able to keep much of the gunpowder dry for one or two new strikers and, potentially, a midfielder this summer.
That’s take a look at the lad in action. Chelsea fans: do you still hold out hope for Shaw or would Luis be a better investment?